9. INDONESIA

 

Indonesia, a country of more than 18,000 thousand islands, located on the ring of fire and with the biggest Muslim population in the world, is a real paradise! I would say it's even possible to travel here for 2 years without getting bored. Here you jump to the next island and you have a different culture, language & cuisine and that without changing the country. Most tourists tend to visit only Bali, let's hold a moment of silence for those poor travelers. Yes, Bali is great and you can have a good time there, but it's definitely not the paradise Instagram is trying to tell you. Honestly, I would even go so far as to say that I have been to 100 islands in my life that were nicer than Bali. 

What I liked the most about Bali: I have finally met my family again after nearly a year of separation! They came to visit me in Bali and Lombok and we had a great time exploring those 2 islands. When it comes to beaches I would prefer Lombok over Bali. But Bali has its own special vibe for itself which shouldn't be missed! Gili Islands are worth a visit as well. 

After a month on Bali and Lombok, I took a flight to Surabaya and started to travel Java from east to west. I have visited the breathtaking volcano Mount Bromo, explored the cities of Malang, Surakarta & Bandung, had great day trips from there on rented motorbikes and spent a week in the megacity Jakarta. In Solo I had my favorite Couchsurfing experience so far and met my now good friend Windy (Selamat pagi putri Indonesia!).  I also started to learn Bahasa Indonesia here (the main reason for that is Malaysia, sorry Indonesia). 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to extend my 60-day tourist visa at the end so I made plans to come back to visit Sumatra and Sulawesi on my next visit. Selamat tinggal!

5 Highlights:

- Bandung, my favorite big city on Java
- Snow-white beaches in the South of Lombok
- Mount Bromo, Java
- Trips on motorbikes with my parents :D
- Mount Batur, Northern Bali

I visited 7 islands of the world's biggest archipelago


Arrival in Bali

Finally meeting my dad

My parents in a restaurant in Bali


Amazing sunsets in Western Lombok


Road trip on Lombok

Visiting tiny islands around Lombok


Black sand beaches in Lombok

Local boat to Gili Air



Sunset on Gili Air

White sand beaches in Lombok's South




Scooter trip on Bali with my dad


Rice terraces on Bali

Its getting colder in Bali's North

Gunung Kawi Temple, Bali

Around Ubud, Bali

Cemoro Lawang, Java




Hiking on a volcano

On top of Bromo


Sea of sand at Bromo

Kampung Warna Warni, Malang


An entire slum area was painted here

Delicious chicken feet 

View from the train, Java



National Museum, Jakarta

Huuuge Jakarta


With Windy and a family in Solo

Boat trip during Chinese New Year, Solo