11. AUSTRIA, SLOVAKIA, SWEDEN & DENMARK

 






After spending a couple of weeks in Malaysia at the beginning of the COVID 19 pandemic I decided to continue my trip in Europe. But before that I tried to fly into Kolkata in India. I boarded a flight from Kuala Lumpur to  Kolkata and I arrived at Kolkata airport at 00:04. The problem was that at 12 the COVID entry regulations changed and people from "high risk" countries such as Germany or Italy couldn't enter the country anymore. The Spanish guy who was sitting next to me on the plane entered and I got deported by a police officer to an office. Wow, what a new intelligent world we live in! I spent 26 hours with a police officer in his office and got deported back to Kuala Lumpur after that.

After spending some time with my family in Germany I started a trip to 5 countries, that always interested me but I have never been to. Austria, Slovakia, Poland (about which I will write a separate blog post since I spent there more than 3 months), Sweden and Denmark.

It was the end of spring, so a great time to discover some parts of central and northern Europe. I started that trip in Vienna, the capital of Austria. Vienna is a super liveable place with a diverse population, amazing historical buildings and a relaxed atmosphere. 

From there I took a short Flixbus ride to Bratislava in Slovakia, which gave me the impression of a Mini Vienna with better prices. It has a pleasant medieval old town with narrow streets, a castle on a hill and the river Danube. 

From Slovakia I traveled to Poland and took a flight to Malmö in Sweden. Actually, I just wanted to see Copenhagen but since Malmö has cheap flight connections and is close to Copenhagen I chose that option. I spent 5 days in Malmö which was nice to see but Sweden is definitely all about nature and not cities. Not even the famous Zlatan statue was there anymore (it became the target of vandalism a couple of times after Ibrahimovic became a part-owner of rival Hammarby IF :D).

However, Copenhagen is an amazing city with great architecture, great international food choices (for a high price tho), the Freetown of Christiania and a beautiful harbor.

5 Highlights:
- admiring the architecture of Vienna
- eating Turkish and Balkan delights at Brunnenmarkt in Vienna
- climbing Bratislava castle with a great view above the city
- meeting interesting people in the Freetown of Christiania, Copenhagen
- having a boat tour in Copenhagen

Brunnenmarkt, Vienna


Architecture of Vienna


Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna


Beautiful Karlskirche, Vienna


Old Town of Bratislava





Blue Church in Bratislava

Pierogi

Malmö city center



Turning Torso Tower, Malmö

Back at the sea in Malmö


Malmö library

Malmö FF Stadium


Corssing from Malmö to Copenhagen via Øresund Bridge


Copenhagen at night


Freetown of Christiania